Fusebox Transcript Plugin (Pro)
This support article is for Pro subscribers only. The transcript plugin for Pro subscribers operates differently than it does for Free subscribers. If you are a Free subscriber, go here.
What is the Fusebox Transcript plugin?
The Fusebox Transcript plugin creates a space for you to beautifully display and offer downloads of podcast transcripts on your podcast episode pages. By displaying your podcast transcripts, you enhance your website's SEO and provide your audience an accessibility-friendly way to consume your podcast.
(The Transcript Plugin does NOT transcribe your podcasts for you; you still need a transcription service like Rev or Temi.)
Want to see the Fusebox Transcript plugin in action? Check it out here!
After you subscribe to Fusebox, you will be given access to a Fusebox account where you can download your copy of the transcript plugin. To add it to your website, follow these steps (note: this is the same process as adding the player plugin):
- Login to your Fusebox Dashboard.
- Navigate to the Tools section.
- Download the Fusebox Transcript plugin zip file to your computer.
- Go to your WordPress dashboard, navigate to Plugins and click Add New.
- Next to "Add Plugins" click Upload Plugin and upload the Fusebox Transcript zip file.
- After you successfully upload the zip file, click Activate to make sure you activate the plugin (otherwise it will not work).
- That's it!
Fusebox Transcript Settings
After you add the Fusebox Transcript plugin, you'll see a new menu in Settings for Fusebox Transcript (see screenshot below). There are three tabs in your Fusebox Transcript Settings: General, Downloads, Rev Integration, and Temi Integration. Here's the breakdown:
- Fusebox License Key: Add your Fusebox license key here. (This is the same license key you've added in your Fusebox Player plugin.)
- Transcript Header Text: Add in whatever header text you want! You can add your podcast name (like we did here with "Muggle Born Podcast") or the episode title, or anything you want.
Header Color: Pick your hex color and the header area will turn a lightened version of the color of your choice, and the text will be that color too. Here's when we picked the hex color #dd0000:
Display Download Button: If you'd like to not show the PDF download option, toggle this off, or on if you'd like the PDF download option for your audience.
Display "Powered By": You have the option of displaying or turning off the "Powered By Fusebox" logo in the bottom-right of your transcript plugin.
Text and Color Styles: You can choose WordPress theme as your option to override our Fusebox Transcript default font and color styles. If your theme has a specific font it uses, then the header (and other content) will still use that font. We'll override the size in the header but not the other content. We recommend sticking to Fusebox Transcript because that's what we've tested and know what looks good, but if you want to try out your WordPress theme styles, do so!
Post Types: The transcript editor is designed for Pages and Posts in WordPress. But if there are specific post types you want to be able to use the Fusebox Transcript plugin with, add them here. An example could be "Podcast" if you have a post type in WordPress called "Podcast."
- Show Logo URL: Drop your podcast logo URL in here. This logo will display on the downloadable PDF when listeners click "Download" on the front end.
- Show Title: Add your podcast title here. This, like the logo URL, will display on the downloaded PDF.
- Multiple Podcasts: If your site has multiple podcasts (as in the example below), you'll add podcasts in the Podcast Name section, click Save Changes at the bottom, and that will give you a drop-down menu in the Podcast section at the top to pick your podcast and associate the correct Show Logo URL and Show Title with each.
Email Integration Tab:
- Choose your email service provider: ConvertKit, MailChimp, or ActiveCampaign (we are working on adding additional email service providers).
- API Key: This will be specific to ConvertKit, MailChimp, or ActiveCampaign, depending on which email service provider you're using. For more information on how to set up ConvertKit, MailChimp, or ActiveCampaign integration, go here.
- API URL: This will be specific to ConvertKit, MailChimp, or ActiveCampaign, depending on which email service provider you're using. For more information on how to set up ConvertKit, MailChimp, or ActiveCampaign integration, go here.
- Form or List ID: This will be specific to ConvertKit, MailChimp, or ActiveCampaign, depending on which email service provider you're using. For more information on how to set up ConvertKit, MailChimp, or ActiveCampaign integration, go here.
- Open Call to Action: You can trigger the email capture form pop-up in two ways: 1) Only when a user clicks on the button; and 2) Automatically after scrolling to a certain percentage on the page.
- Call to Action:
- Main Text Header: Add your text header here. What is your call to action to entice listeners to sign up for your email list?
- Main Text Body: Add a bit more information about what they will get in your newsletter when they sign up!
- User's First Name: You can choose simply request or require first name.
- User's Last Name: You can choose simply request or require last name.
- Button Text: Add a short, sweet action here. Something like "Join" or "Subscribe" works great!
Rev Integration Tab:
If you transcribe your podcasts with Rev, we have API integration! You no longer need to login to Rev, download your .txt file, and upload it to your Transcript Plugin. Instead, with the Rev API integration, you can access and add all of your Rev transcriptions swiftly from the Transcript Plugin itself.
For more info on how to set up Rev and the Fusebox Transcript Plugin, go here.
Temi Integration Tab:
If you transcribe your podcasts with Temi, we have API integration! You no longer need to login to Temi, download your .txt file, and upload it to your Transcript Plugin. Instead, with the Temi API integration, you can access and add all of your Temi transcriptions swiftly from the Transcript Plugin itself.
For more info on how to set up Temi and the Fusebox Transcript Plugin, go here.
Adding the Final Touches
Now that your Fusebox Transcript plugin is uploaded and your settings are all set, it's time to put the Transcript to work! Before you actually add the transcription, you need to do one very important thing:
Add a Fusebox Transcript shortcode to the page or post where you want your transcript plugin to show.
Under your track player, add a shortcode widget (if you're using Gutenberg editor; or shortcode if you're using classic editor) and type in the following shortcode:
[fusebox_transcript]. Make sure to add the shortcode; otherwise your transcript won't show up! Like this:
After you add the
[fusebox_transcript] shortcode, the transcript on the front end will work. Finally, on each page and post (and whatever other post type you clarify in the settings), you'll now see a Transcript area at the bottom of the page or post editor. It will look like this:
Because, in my example, I've added two podcasts in my settings (Smart Passive Income and AskPat 2.0), that's why you see the toggle menu with the two podcast options. In this case, I am going to add in a transcript for AskPat 2.0 from the Temi drop-down menu.
And now for the reveal! Here's how all that looks on the front end for your podcast audience:
Notes About Text and Formatting
- If a line starts with any text and then a colon, we put a bold tag at the start of the line and a close bold tag after the colon. (It's assumed this is a speaker's name.)
- Anytime there's a carriage return, we add a paragraph tag
- i / em: text in italics
- b / strong: text in bold
- u: text underlined
- p: Add two carriage returns
- br: Add one carriage return
- a: create link
If you have any questions whatsoever, please don't hesitate to reach us at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will the Fusebox Transcript plugin transcribe my podcast for me?
A: No, actually. The plugin displays your transcriptions, giving your transcribed podcast a beautiful front end with an option for your users to download. It's not transcription software. We recommend Rev or Temi for that.
Q: What's the difference between the free version of the transcript plugin and the pro version?
A: The free version of the transcript plugin does not come with Pro features like Rev/Temi integration, email capture, header colors, and more.